Sunday, October 3, 2010

Recap of the week

Well, we made it. This past week has been a whirlwind. We were able to go out for Nick's birthday our last night in Antigua, and both had some delicious coffee and dessert. The next morning, the taxi man remembered to pick us up and was punctual... we actually got to the bus terminal in Guatemala City before they opened their doors that morning. It rained steadily for the five hour bus ride, but thankfully there were no roads closed due to landslides, which have been very common this year due to the heavy amount of rainfall. A missionary couple who were leaving the next day for the States picked us up at the terminal in Huehuetenango and dropped us off at the Berea Bible Institute, where we are staying for the month.

A fairly major “fly in the ointment” would be that the misisonary couple that we were coming to work with are actually still in Guatemala City, awaiting a fairly major medical procedure. We've been praying for them, as we know that they're wanting to be here to help us, but need to remain in the city. So, we're here, waiting, and honestly feeling a little bit out of it. There is a family here at the Institute that we take meals with, and they have been very generous in helping us out.

While we were here last week we were hooked up with another missionary who works to the North, in rural communities where there is very little Christian presence. Some of the indigenous people do not have the Bible translated into their language, so this man and others are working to provide materials – books, CDs, DVDs, that are in their dialect.

We spent three days with this man and his family, who have made a 10 year commitment to live in the town and work with the people, particularly the youth. They have plans to build a school, though with the translation, I'm not entirely sure if it is for children, youth, or more of a college for young adults.

So here's the fun part of the story... I awoke the morning we were to leave for the rural town very, terribly sick. You can imagine. I took some Imodium and we headed on our merry way. One of the roads was blocked due to landslides, so the trail we took was a six hour trip up to 10,000 feet and back down again. Imagine the type of off-roading path that one would take to get to the base of a 14er. Or your worst nightmare. No, that's too strong of language to use yet. I was pretty sick. I couldn't even knit, and if you know me, you know that is saying a lot. We arrived at the village and found out that we were speaking that evening at a meeting of young people. Yep. We had an hour or so to think of something really motivational (and for Nick, in another language, which is an added challenge!) Well, we survived that engagement, and made it home again to a home that due to the rain and I'm not sure what else, had no running water. And only one bathroom. Seven people. Did I mention that I was terrifically ill? I'll let you put two and two together. Well, an overnight trip turned into three days, and a whole lot of conversations. I hope that our presence there was encouraging to their family. I was able to talk to the kids about being a PK, and some of the joys and challenges that that brings, which PKs everywhere can relate to. We pray for the family of Rene, who are so busy laboring for the Lord in a place with not a whole lot to encourage them. And we pray for the kids, as we recognize that sometimes children of ministry folks are the first ones to be sacrificed, which grieves us.

So we made it back to Berea in time for the graduation of the future pastors and missionaries, and it was a very special time to witness. The families of the graduates traveled long distances to celebrate. I kind of felt like I was in the middle of a National Geographic issue! The indigenous women still dress in traditional clothing and I just wanted to soak it all in! I did manage to get a few pictures, though I wasn't extremely gutsy to take as many as I wanted.

We're not sure what this next week will hold as we are still kind of on our own to find ministry spots, but will hopefully be able to start some work with a nearby orphanage. As this is a pretty public forum, and after all, fairly missionary letter-esque, you can imagine that there is always more to the story. It has been hard, frustrating, lonely.  Please pray for us as we're not sure what to do now, yet desire to learn and grow and encourage those around us. And continued prayers for gastro-intestinal issues would always be appreciated!


1 comment:

  1. Argh, I know exactly what you mean Anna as I was sick in a similar way on our one day trip into Guatamala on a bus. Massively inconvenient with a teeth gritting reality. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete