Our dear little lady... I often wonder what she is thinking as she gives us some ridiculously precious facial expressions. They change so very quickly that we get a little show many times in the day. It goes from super cute and happy, head thrown back, eyes closed and a precious open-mouthed shriek of joy to pouty-lipped waa-waa-waa's in record time. She has not learned yet to contain or contrive her emotions, which make it so fun to observe. Also, it is pretty impossible to please this little girl perfectly. The slightest jostle while holding her or loud noise will startle her into a fit of sadness as if we'd slapped her right in the face. Oh my. But we love it.
We have had some ups and downs in the last week. Our visit to the cardiologist last week was very encouraging, as the heart defects have remained the same and the holes have not begun to close up, which for now is a good thing. We will likely not need to go in for another echocardiogram for another month, which means that the doctor is pretty comfortable with her oxygen levels and condition. We were so thankful to leave a doctor appointment feeling encouraged and filled with hope that Ada is doing well (and thus we somehow take some credit for that, at least internally).
The discouragement is that Ada has not been gaining weight well. This is something that is a common issue for babies with heart defects, as the body burns more calories than normal to make up for all the hard work the heart has to do. Last week she didn't gain any weight, so of course I was a basketcase. We have since met with a lactation consultant and are in contact with the doctors and have a plan that might be working... we'll see. The next weigh-in will be Monday. I'd never known that breastfeeding could be such an emotionally taxing activity, on top of the physical demands. So that would be a pretty basic but important request for prayer. We need dear Ada to be big and strong as soon as possible, yet I can't force the food down her throat. Thanks, folks!
We continue to be blessed by packages and meals and encouraging emails and texts and letters... wow. Thanks, guys. We know we have so much to be thankful for as I sit in my air conditioned apartment with a full pantry and a little wriggling baby by my side. She did manage to just roll off the pile-o-blanket next to me and nearly into my lap in the middle of her nap. Naptime at 10pm, you ask? Don't. It's been a rough day, schedule-wise. Let's just say that the authors of "Babywise" would not approve! I'm reading the book along with La Leche League's "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", and my brain is about to burst as it is being pulled in opposite directions.
So I know that my last post promised that I would post some musings about being a mother sometime soon. I have journalled approximately 2.5 times in the last five weeks, and I actually think that is pretty good. So I've not had a lot of time for deep thoughts... I am working on the first or perhaps second tier of Maslow's hierarchy of needs as I provide food and safety for my little one. I will work up to self-actualization.... someday. But not tonight.
Goodnight, and we'll chat again sooner or later!
No comments:
Post a Comment