I remember the first time I saw this man, standing at
the ticket table in an old church on Broadway Avenue, as he was handing off a
wig to his sister for a musical she was about to perform in… we shook hands. I have no recollection of what we said, but I
doubt that it was more than five or ten words.
I still remember how I felt. Instant
attraction. Heart pitter-pattering. Junior high girls would be impressed with how
I kept my cool.
That was about 13 years ago, gang. And a bit more. You see, this Thursday, we celebrate 10 years
of marriage. Ten YEARS! Say nothing of the fact that we both are
about to celebrate 20 years out of high school.
Wacky thoughts for sure.
I wanted to take a few moments to honor my man as we
celebrate this milestone – a milestone that seems nice and round and pretty,
certainly more so than a 9 or an 11.
Thursday will come, and it is a work day and a school day and we will
hopefully have a few hours free in the evening with a sitter, but that is far
from as spectacular and glorious a nice, round, pretty milestone of 10 should
require.
Those ten years have held a lot. Job changes. 8 addresses. Miscarriage. Guatemala
and our dear host family that made me corn flakes and watermelon when I was
sick as a dog. Two heart surgeries: hospital stays, using up vacation days, scary
bills that would arrive, meals and gift cards and bags of games and toys from
our small group, friends, and family, and exhaling with gratitude at the end of
each cardiologist appointment.
Paint brushes hanging out in the kitchen sink. The
bathroom in our Littleton “house” that was inaccessible when the dishwasher was
open. The huge box of Pampers that
arrived on our doorstep from the Hispanic grandma after Ada was born on her
birthday! Sonic happy hour and half price
cherry limeades. The time we tried a Pinterest
foot soak involving mouthwash and dyed our feet blue. Our frustration at our landlords turning on the
squeaky spigot right above our bedroom window at 7am on a Saturday morning… back
when sleeping past 7am was a normal occurence!
4th anniversary: Cracker Barrel!!! The two years it took to finish
reading the marriage book aloud to one another.
The number of times he takes the garbage out. Or lets me choose to watch Anne of Green
Gables or Pride and Prejudice or The Crown or Downton Abbey instead of The Hulk
or Star Wars or Avengers or some other nonsense😊.
The time he takes tucking the kids into bed,
wrestling one and answering questions and hearing stories from another.
The kindness he shows to those around us and the
example he sets of spending time studying, reading God’s word.
He is a good man, and I am thankful for him. Neither of us are perfect and I have
discovered that marriage is a mirror, and all my weaknesses and
selfishness are easily exposed. EASILY exposed. It isn't all fun and joy, but there is a comfort in being seen with all of my baggage, and still accepted and loved and sought after.
Thanks to my husband, my friend. I am grateful for these ten years and look forward to doing the rest of our lives together.
No comments:
Post a Comment