It is nearly 9pm and Nick and I are sitting by Ada's bedside in the CICU - cardiac intensive care unit. What a day. We got to the hospital a little after 7 this morning and checked in and soon were chatting with Nick's parents and sisters and my parents, our support people for the day. We brought Ada into the Cardiac Pre-Unit and got her changed into a hospital gown. We sang a few songs and did a lot of snuggling. By 9 am the nurse had arrived to take Ada into the operating room.
The surgery itself took less than the expected 4 hours, and it went off without much of a hitch. Everyone went according to the planned procedure, the Glen procedure as it is called. The one additional aspect was that Ada's hole between her left and right ventricle was enlarged. Then, her superior vena cava was attached to her pulmonary artery. Her time on the heart and lung machine didn't seem to cause much of an issue, and her heart started up just fine on its own once the procedure was complete.
By about 2 in the afternoon Nick and I were allowed into the ICU to see her. She is still trying to come out of the heavy sedation, and is likely experiencing a pretty massive headache, in addition to pain from the incision and the number of tubes, IVs, and wires all over. It is pretty sad to hear her quietly cry, though I'm sure we'll hear it much louder and stronger once she really wakes up from all the sedation.
We are so very, very grateful for the successful outcome of the procedure! We were definitely both "at peace", or as much as could be expected given our situation, while Ada was in the operating room. In a sense, it is almost more difficult to be here with her and see her in pain, but we know that she is healing. It is all a process.
We'll post more later, but wanted to at least give a bit of an update. Thank you so much for all of you prayer warriors out there, remembering us and our dear little one!
Praise the Lord! I will continue to pray for her healing, that she could skip most of the pain parts and continue in her advanced pattern of being a superstar patient
ReplyDeleteAmen! Praise God!
ReplyDeleteI hope it doesn't sound trite, but I thought of you recently and wanted to share... Whenever my girls are sick, particularly when we're up late at night and all tired and exhausted, they request that I sing to them "Trust in the Lord.". I began singing it to Eva when she was a newborn and there were questions about her heart. I sang it to comfort myself these last six years just as much as them. It is the song that you and a few others sang at our baccalaureate service, from proverbs 3:5-6. If it weren't fr you, I would not have known that tune, which has been a comfort to us all in trying times. Maybe you can sing it for Ada one of these nights :). Thanks for that blessing! Praying or ou all now...
ReplyDelete